Why book the Baltimore Symphonic Band?
People have extolled “the excellence of the performances, combined with [the] charming presentations.”
We attract many talented musicians from throughout the greater Baltimore Maryland area who are focused on the quality of music and the professionalism of our performances.
Many members are music teachers or school band directors, adding an additional level of excellence.
The Baltimore Symphonic Band is an all-volunteer group that puts a lot of time end effort into rehearsals and performances – because we love music.
We share this love with family, friends, and the community in each and every performance.
Our programs feature exciting and entertaining music, frequently combined with a little humor and a bit of education, that is always sure to please.
Music director Chris Wolfe has tremendous stage presence and is able to develop a rapport with audiences that is rare among concert band conductors.
You get the diverse repertoire and full, rich sound which only “full size bands” like ours can provide.
The band’s repertoire includes symphonic works arranged for concert band,
traditional arrangements of well-known compositions, new works by contemporary composers,
marches, and show tune medleys.
We have a library of over 2,000 works and
we can put together a performance specifically designed for your event.
We know what works and how to present an entertaining program for your audience.
What do you get?
- BSB Performances
- are typically 60-90 minutes in length.
- can be designed with or without an intermission.
- can include commentaries, humor and/or narration.
- Our music library contains over 2,000 works, and with a few months advance notice,
we can put together and prepare a performance specifically designed for your event.
- Concerts can include a variety of music, and in many cases will be related to a central theme, such as:
- Movie music of John Williams
- Patriotic Music (with optional historic tie-ins)
- Family oriented (e.g., Peter and the Wolf and Friends)
- British band classics
- Christmas / Holiday music
- Broadway Show-Stoppers
- Super Heroes and the power of music
- We love to make music, and we are willing to consider creating smaller balanced ensembles
(for example, a brass choir or a woodwind quintet) to meet your entertainment or background music needs.
We perform indoors at any time of the year, and outdoors from May through September, weather permitting.
It’s best to contact us 6 – 9 months before your anticipated performance date. Some of our dates are booked more than a year out.
We perform indoors or out (weather permitting), typically within 75 miles of Baltimore.
Some typical (or potential) venues include:
- Fort McHenry – Sail-a-bration
- Baltimore’s Inner Harbor – Harborplace Sunny Sunday Concert Series
- Graduations (CCBC, Police academies, etc.)
- Summer concert series (Bel Air, Aberdeen, Towson, Arbutus, wineries, festivals)
- Corporate Events
- Grand Openings
- Christmas concerts in retirement homes, shopping malls, and state hospitals
The all-volunteer BSB consists of about 50 players.
With this many in the group, we require a suitable space to accommodate the musicians,
our instruments, music stands, as well as percussion instruments, some of which are rather bulky.
- Stage: 40 x 30 foot stage (minimum), either on a raised platform or flat area.
- Green room: Ideally, there should be a separate room for storage of instrument cases and other belongings. If necessary they can be stored at the back or side of the stage area.
- Chairs: Approximately 50 chairs, without arms.
- Load-in: Access to site for truck, with loading dock or a ramp, for load-in at least 90 minutes before the performance starts.
- Sound: We can play purely acoustically, but typically have at least one microphone for conductor commentary,
and may need a full sound system, depending on the nature of the venue.
- Lighting: The stage should be lit from above and/or from the sides sufficiently for the musicians to be able to see their music and the conductor, and for the audience to see the musicians.
If you’re interested in scheduling a performance by the BSB for a special event,
an evening of entertaining music, or a fundraiser, please contact us at 443-840-1914.